Cloth diapering can get expensive all at once, but it definitely saves money in the long run. Especially if you plan on having more than one child. I’m not going to get into what kind of cloth diapers I’m using because that’s a personal preference. I’ll tell you this, there are lots to choose from and it can get confusing (for me anyway).
The cloth diapers I got came with one insert for each diaper and I got 28 diapers. This is supposed to give me two days or so worth of diapers, so I will be washing them every other day. I may need to get more – who knows! We’ll see how many stinks the stinker makes when he or she gets here.
What I didn’t end up getting was extra inserts for the diapers for naps and night-time for extra absorbency. They were $2 each – which I realize isn’t all that much but it adds up and I’m trying to save money. I also love a challenge when it comes to saving money. How hard can it really be?
I found a fleece throw that was on sale at IKEA for $2.99. It was 138cm x 170cm (51″ x 67″). I got two of them. My original inserts are microfiber but I heard fleece did well with absorbing too.
So here’s what I did:
I folded my blankets in half and traced around an insert that I had, repeating all the way across. I then flipped it over to double the material once again giving my four layers of material. It left me a little tail of leftover material at the end so I traced some more which gave me 6 more layers. This helped me waste the least amount of material. You can do it whatever way works for you.
After cutting out all the tracings, it came out to 84 layers. I tested with water and with the fleece absorbance, I decided to use three layers per insert. I sewed three layers together at a time using a tighter zigzag stitch.
Rough tracing, rough cutting and rough sewing leads to rough edges – which I had. You can do a much better job if you have the patience and focus – which I do not! So trim the edges making sure not to cut through the thread.
And there you have it! My homemade insert beside my original insert. Not too pretty but it does the job of extra absorbance! Now all I have to do i wash them a couple times to “strip” them so they become even more absorbent.
I spent a couple of hours of my time doing this, but well worth it. Here’s the break down:
NOT TOO SHABBY!!!! Hope this helps if you’re considering attempting this yourself 🙂